??Part IIVocabulary and Structure (30%)
Directions: In this part there are 30 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. It is from my grandparents I learned a lot.
A. whoB. whom
C. thatD. which
17. The writer has published many books,are well received by the readers.
A. none of whom B. all of which
C. neither of whoD. one of which
18. Classes , the students left for home without delay.
A. were overB. being over
C. are overD. over
19. This is the dictionary I depend a lot whenever I have problems with new words.
A. with whichB. in which
C. on whichD. for which
20. Over ten people died and twenty people werewounded in the train crash.
A. horriblyB. wrongly
C. bitterlyD. seriously
21. Do you think Tommy is the truth?
A. sayingB. speaking
C. tellingD. talking
22. It is so hot. You should put the food into the refrigerator now.
Otherwise, it willsoon.
A. harmB. hurt
C. spoilD. damage
23.Don’t forget to write to me, ?
A. will youB. didn’t you
C. are youD. don’t you
24. It is important to remember the saying that is better than cure .
A. preventionB. promotion
C. are youD. proportion
25. Winning or losing is temporary,but friendship
A. expectsB. lives
C. remainsD. lasts
26. peter, whom everyone suspected, to be innocent.
A. turned outB. turned off
C. turned upD. turned over
27. Isn’t that they call peace and friendship?
A. whichB. this
C. what D. where
28. So __ is the weather in England that by lunchtime there could be thunder and lightening.
A. variousB. varies
C. variableD. variation
29. All the arrangements should have been completed priorour departure
A. in B. to
C. byD. before
30. I must tell you how a letter from you.
A. pleased I was to receiveB. pleased I was to receiving
C. was I pleased to receiveD. pleased I was receiving
31. I am considering my job as I’m not getting on well with my boss.
A. changingB. to change
C. changedD. to be changed
32. the advice of his friends, he would not have suffered such a heavy loss in his business.
A. If he tookB. If he should take
C. Were he to takeD. Had he taken
33. John, the bet, had to pay for the dinner.
A. lostB. having lost
C. losingD. Had he taken
34. Do not trust such men often like to praise you to your face.
A. whoB. that
C. asD. they
35. We have a desperate need practice strict economy in every department.
A. toB. of
C. forD. about
36. But for my classmates’ help, Ithe work in time.
A. did not finish B. could not finish
C. will not finishD. would not have finished
37. is known to us all, the earth moves around the sun.
A. BecauseB. For
C. SoD. As
38. With the flowerseverywhere, the park looks beautiful.
A. to bloom B. blooming
C. be bloomingD. to be blooming
39. The shortage of energy is getting worse. It an immediate solution.
A. calls off B. calls up
C. calls for D. calls at
40. The teacher spoke so fast that it was hard for the students to
what he was saying.
A. take in B. take out
C. take up D. take over
41. Some pop singers have much influencethe young people.
A. to B. for
C. onto D. on
42. The doctor advised her that sheenough rest before going
back to work.
A. to get B. get
C. getsD. got
43. I think I will do it myselfasking him for help.
A. rather than B. other than
C. instead of D. in place of
44. No sooner had she entered the house the telephone rang.
A. when B. than
C. as D. while
45. Mary said to me,“Had I seen your bag, I it to you.”
A. will return B. must return
C. could return D. would have returned